Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 14 (August 24): Land Between the Lakes to Paducah, KY

After a night of sub-par dinners (crackers, snickers and a bit of
leftover pasta) and a similar breakfast, we were ready for some real
food. Kathleen and I pedaled our way to Patti's in Grand Rivers, a
local establishment with a big reputation. Kathleen sang a lovely ode
in anticipation of our lunch, which she composed for the occasion. I
don't know that I've ever heard a better song about steak and mashed
potatoes.

The roads here look like big ol' egg noodles flopped over the hills.
They don't wrap around the hills, just drape straight up and down. The
climbs sometimes look like a vertical wall, the roads are so straight,
but most end up being longer and flatter than they seem.

Kathleen continued her serenades throughout the day while drafting off
my hill climbs (to be fair, only some of them), mixing up some
Beatles, INXS and Styx. The countryside up to Paducah was full of
easy, rolling hills and some really speedy riding.

Along the way, I saw a dead muskrat (or fisher or ferrett or
something) and another cooler lid! That's four. And, after all of that
speedy riding along a slightly messy shoulder, I got yet another flat,
this time the front.

Lucky for me we were just two miles from our motel, which is just two
blocks from a bike shop if we need it.

Tropical Storm Fay remnants may keep us from the Mississippi tomorrow,
but we're hoping to get there before the storm arrives.

No comments: