Friday, August 29, 2008

Day 17 (August 28): Missouri Ozarks

Today we pedaled 57 miles from Wappapello to Van Buren, MO. It was hot. We started in Butler County and passed through Wayne and Carter Counties.

For the morning, Kathleen and I were protected from the 90+ degree heat by the shade of Mark Twain National Forest. For the afternoon, we were on a hot highway, riding as fast as we could from cloud shadow to cloud shadow, but mainly were just exposed to the sun.

We got to Van Buren, planning to head south a couple miles to Big Spring to camp. However, I encountered my most formidable foe so far - a hill that I could not climb! I guess the end of the day, the heat and the steep country highway just did me in. So, we ended up back in Big Spring at the Big Spring Motel.

Big Jim, who owns the Big Spring Motel, offered to drive us up to Big Spring, a former state park, now federal property. We went up with Big Jim and his wife (this makes the second time we've been in a pickup truck with a Big Jim) to see the spring, park buildings built through the WPA and the Current River. Big Jim told us all about the history of the region and the river as we drove over huge hill after huge hill - even if I had made it up the one, the others would have done me in.

We saw a lid-less cooler today! Finally, one long-lost partner to the four lids. Also, if there's anyone out there looking for a mattress set (single), there's one along Highway J outside of Avert.

No comments: