Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day 4 (August 12): North Carolina Piedmont

Today, I rode alone through Concord to Lincolnton. I took Highway 73, which was lovely, on the way to Concord. I’d been worried about the traffic, but it only looks bad from a car. I don’t know what that means about the actual safety of cyclists, but I felt safe. I saw a couple of ‘Share the Road’ signs in Cabarrus County. I ate a long lunch with my older sister, Hannah, who lives with her husband and son beyond Concord, right off of 73. I continued on to Lincolnton in Lincoln County, through Huntersville in Mecklenburg County. This stretch was heavily trafficked, and I didn’t relax and enjoy the views nearly enough. Charlotte is seeping into all parts of Mecklenberg County (and beyond), especially this northern part, and the accompanying traffic is becoming unbearable for residents and visitors alike on this corridor. In Lincoln County, I was on a designated bike route. So although I felt in the way, I was confident that at some point in history another cyclist had been on that road. In Concord, I got to ride in my first bike lane of the trip! And near Birkdale Village in Mecklenberg County, I got to ride in another 2-block long bike lane right off of I-77. Yes, a 2-block bike lane is a little silly. But, baby steps, I guess. The hills were at a constant roll all day. The last couple I didn’t feel like climbing, but I made it up them and on to Lincolnton where my sister and mom picked me up. My friend Randy Fike (b. Parkersburg, WV, 1969) made us bright yellow “Team Ellen” t-shirts, and he managed to choose the worst photo of me possible to put on the front. Sarah couldn’t come today. We were going to take a rest day (hence the 84-mile day yesterday), but it’s supposed to rain all day tomorrow and thunderstorm. I decided not to risk it, although it dampened both my and Sarah’s spirits. I much prefer having a traveling companion on the road. And not only because we have matching pink shirts. Sarah’s knee and heel were both bothering her a little – enough to sit out the day of hills. I’m amazed at her performance so far, and proud.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ooo, how much for a yellow "Team Ellen" t-shirt?? I want to be in the fan club!