left from Gunnison this morning, dropping down along the Gunnison
River through the Curecanti National Recreation Area. The air was cold
(when I left, it was 39 degrees), but the sun was very warm. The river
wended along through the brown, shrubby landscape and groves of trees.
Soon, the earth beside the road grew into rocky hills, with red,
yellow and white stripes.
I crossed the Blue Mesa Reservoir and climbed a big hill past
Sapinero. I then descended into the Black Canyon, down narrow
switchbacks, with the lurching river to my right, steep walls of rock
and pines stabbing the sky. It was the most stunningly beautiful place
I've seen from the road, and riding fast through its curves and
shadows was truly amazing.
Past Cimarron, I found myself at an impasse of cows. I realized that
one cow weighs three or four times me and my bicycle combined, so
after my most angry 'Shoo!', I waited for a car to come along lest I
wind up at the wrong end of a bike-cow collision. I then coasted the
remaining 15 miles downhill all the way into Montrose. Of my 66 miles
today, at least 40 were downhill, and at least 20 were those
exhilirating 30+ miles per hour downhills. I've really started to
enjoy those.
1 comment:
Sweet!! I can picture it (sort of). did I ever tell you I hiked and camped in Cimarron - yep for 7 days, beautiful country. There was a song we sang while there:
"Silver on the sage - scarlett skies above, aspen covered hills , country that I love" - something like that!! Enjoy.
Post a Comment