skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Day 40 (September 26): Southwestern Utah
Today I biked from Panguitch to Cedar City, Utah, across the mountain called Brian Head, a total of 58 miles. Most of the route was through Dixie National Forest, and at the pass we visited Cedar Breaks National Monument.
Well, I didn't really visit. As I passed Panguitch Lake, just above 8,000 feet, I noticed some gray clouds. I thought I would be rained on a little as I climbed up to 10,300 feet. I spent most of the ascent shedding and re-donning layers of clothing as the rain came, I started a long climb or the sun came out.
I heard a few claps of thunder, but didn't see any lightning, so I kept going. Soon, my dad showed up, having been waiting at the pass with a sandwich for me, worried about the weather. He said, "It's sleeting up there." And indeed, it was. I had just three miles to the Cedar Breaks visitor
center, so I pedaled through the sleet and ate my sandwich in the car with the heat blasting before putting on all of my available outerwear for the descent. The 25 miles down took about an hour, the air warming up fast as I rode back down to 6,000 feet. We then took a short drive to Zion National Park to take a short walk.
I met a fellow bike tourer named Ernest riding from St Louis to San Diego. He complained about all of the tourists around, especially at Bryce Canyon. "All of those Germans!" he said. Noticing his accent, I asked him where he was from. "Munich," he said, laughing.
The aspens glowed a bright, tinny gold against the dark pine trees and gray sky. It was the first really autumnal day of my trip. Since I kind of like inclement weather (you can really lose yourself in it), today's ride through the forested mountains was one of my favorites so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment