Saturday, September 27, 2008

Day 41 (September 27): Ellen's Birthday and the Nevada Border

Today I rode 61 miles from Cedar City to the Nevada border on Highway 56. It was almost completely flat, save for a sign I passed that said "Summit 6,450 Feet", when I was unaware I had been climbing anything. We passed several more of those on our drive up to Salt Lake City, on downhills sometimes. My dad will be flying home tomorrow, I'm sad to report. We've had a great time seeing these parks and canyons and mountains together. He stayed just long enough to sing 'Happy birthday' to me about five times today. I managed to avoid this huge storm this morning - it was up in the Needle Mountains and I turned south alongside the Mormon Mountains. I could see lightning bolts from all these miles away, though, and was glad the sky was clear and blue above me. For my birthday, I am riding a train from Salt Lake City to Reno. Yes, this means that I cannot say that I rode my bicycle across the entire country. I have been trying to talk myself into taking the train for about a month, since Elizabeth and I decided that she would stay an extra week through part of Colorado instead of flying back out to lend car support through Nevada. Nevada is a mountainous desert with very little development or humans or shade, and for many reasons, I'm not willing to ride through it without some kind of company (up to 80 miles between services chief among them). So, I hope there aren't too many disappointed folks out there. My original trip included Nevada, desolation and all, but I had several changes of plan in the last few weeks before I left. I'll ride again from Reno on Monday and rejoin the route in Carson City before crossing into California. I probably have a mere five days of riding left.

No comments: